Introduction to the GIS group
Section of digital soil map in 1:25 000.
Section of digital geological map of SW Greenland in 1:100 000.
Since 1984 GEUS has used Geographic Information Systems (GIS) for automated mapping and geographic analysis. These assignments are organized in the GIS group at Geological Data Centre.
The GIS Group mainly works with the ArcGIS program suite complemented by MapInfo. Moreover GIS-facilities are today implemented in many other computer systems such as database interfaces and modelling tools.
The main tasks at the GIS-group are:
- Production of new digital geological maps of Denmark and Greenland
- Production of other GIS products
- Publication of geological maps and other GIS data on the internet
- Compilation of GIS data in connection with various cooperation projects
- Conversion of traditional geological maps to digital form
- Maintaining the map databases at GEUS
- Installing and updating GIS-software at GEUS
- Making GIS analysis and illustrations for GEUS projects as required
- Marketing and sale of digital maps, GIS analysis and related products
- Development of software routines for solving ad hoc problems related to GIS
- Contact for external partners concerning GIS-related tasks
Information on sale of printed and digital maps may be found here:
GIS on the internet GEUS also offers digital maps over the internet. Some of the data included in these maps may also be delivered as WMS- and WFS services, directly readable by for example ArcMap and ArcInfo.
Mikael Pedersen, e-mail: email@example.com, tel. +45 9133 3953.